It took Grails 6 years from it’s beginning to reach version 2.0.
A lot of great and long awaited features justify the version jump from 1.3 to the new major release 2.0.
My favorite new features are:
- Spring 3.1
- Tab completion for the Grails console – closing the gap to Spring Roo
- Reloading Agent (hopefully it’s better than the current class reloading feature)
- H2 Database and Console – finally you can look into your development database! RIP HSQLDB…
- Binary Plugins
- Controller actions as methods – I did never understand why Grails prior to 2.0 used closures for controller actions…
- HTML5 Scaffolding – at last. It was about time!
- Easy Date Parsing – missed it so much, no more hand made date conversion routines…
- Multiple Data Sources Support – you don’t need a plugin any longer to use multiple data sources in your Grails app
- Database Migrations plugin – no need to do this manually with Liquibase
To me it looks like the best Grails version ever. Hopefully it doesn’t come with too many new bugs ;-)